I’m so excited to show off these Two Color Socks. They were really fun to work up and I’m excited to have them as new shop samples! As always, here are the fun details first:
Pattern: Two Color Socks / Joji Locatelli
Yarn: agirlandherwool / BFL Sock base / Pebbles in the River and Love at First Sight
Needles: Size 0
Cast on: 3/9/2020
Cast off: 3/28/2020
The pattern page on Ravelry can be found here.
I’m really happy I made these socks for a few reasons.
1. Pebbles in the River and Love at First Sight is one of my favorite pairings of colorways in my shop. I’ve been wanting to knit with them as a pair for a while and I’m so glad I finally have.
2. The new BFL sock base is such a good sock base. It’s so sturdy but still very soft. I can’t wait to knit more with it.
3. I have had my eye on this pattern since the day I saw Joji post about it. I’ve loved them for that long and it’s such a fun sock pattern. If you haven’t knit a textured sock pattern yet, consider these. It’s very simple patterns, but it comes out looking so good. I think the two colors are also a good twist that adds fun without being overly complicated.
I knit these socks exactly as written other than using a Size 0 needle instead of a Size 1 needle. I mention it here often, but I knit loosely and so I always need to go down a needle size. Since it’s for a shop sample, I like to keep the pattern as is so that people don’t expect to get one pattern out of it and end up with something different. I did knit the smallest size, which is still a bit large for me. I knew if I used a Size 1 needle, it would just be out of control.
Here are all the things I would have changed about this pattern if it weren’t a sample:
1. I would have knit them toe up. For the texture patterns in this sock, it would have come out identically to how they look now. For some of my textured socks, the pattern is actually upside down, which never bothers me.
2. I would have used a fish lips kiss heel. I just love that heel better than a lot of other heels. This pattern uses a heel flap and gusset. I just don’t like the look of it so much. I might have mentioned it here on the blog before, but it reminds me of an old school baby onesie with a butt flap. I also just don’t like knitting the flap, picking up stitches and remembering to decrease to a certain point. Just not my thing.
3. I would have used 52 stitches instead of 56.
4. I might have taken away a repeat or two of the lace because these socks came out a bit taller than I usually knit.
5. I would have made two matching socks instead of opposite colors on the second sock.
That’s not so much right? It still would have been the same pattern at heart. It’s mostly just about making sure I get a fit that works for me.
Overall, I’d definitely knit these again. I would definitely look to use smaller skeins for them and even consider it for some of the leftovers I plan on using this year.
Check out the pattern on Ravelry. If you like this pairing of yarn, check them out in my shop. I’ve set up a coupon code for these colors and my blog readers. Use code “BLOGREADERTWOCOLOR” at checkout for 15% off these colors. The code will work for one week only, until April 16th, 2020. It is available for Pebbles in the River and Love at First Sight as individual skeins or in their pairing. Let me know if you have any questions!
One thought on “FO Friday – Two Color Socks”