In this week’s shop update, I’ll be offering 50g skeins of the ready to ship colorways. Before making the decision to offer 50g skeins, I decided to think through what I would want to make with them and which patterns are out there that would be a good fit. Here’s what I’ve come up with.
I think socks are the answer to pretty much any yarn-y question. Especially one that sounds like “what should I make with this skein of yarn I bought that time?” There are a million sock patterns out there, besides many knitters adopting some combination of heels, toes and cuffs to make their own. Now, personally, I can get away with a 50g skein of yarn and make socks for me or my husband. I have generally small feet and my husband likes short socks (which is good considering he has Mens size 13 feet).
What if you use more than 50g? Here’s what I’ve come up with.
- Buy a set and use a contrast for the heel, cuff and toe! All of my colorways come in any size skein, which means you can buy exactly how much you need in addition to the 50g skein to make your perfect pair of socks.
- Check out some awesome colorwork socks and combine 2 50g skeins into 1 awesome pair of socks. Here are some of my pattern recommendations (please check the pattern recommendation to make sure it will work with your size).
I’ve knit a few pairs of colorwork mittens out of two 50g balls with leftovers. Again, small hands, but I think you can make it work with many patterns.
- Lotus Mittens by Heather Desserud – I made a pair of these and I love them!
- Koha Mitts by Francoise Danoy (Aroha Knits)
- Any of Skeindeer’s patterns
Fast patterns and low yardage! There’s really nothing better than baby knits.
For adult patterns, I do think colorwork is another great option here. I especially love brioche as well.
- Shiftalong by Andrea Mowry – this would be great with a tonal and a fun variegated yarn.
- Miki Hat by Angela Tong
- Columbine by Alla Saenko – I’ve knit this hat! It was my first brioche project and I wear the hat a lot!
- Ice Time Hat by Jennifer Lassonde
These are just some of many patterns you can use or combine to make some really amazing projects. Let me know how you use your 50g skeins.